Monday, January 19, 2009

11:34 AM: Classes begin.

Today is the first day of classes. I've only had one so far, and it was... interesting. I have a feeling that these classes won't be as easy as I had hoped. I'm glad that I'm dropping one for a minimum of 12 hours. Here is my schedule for those of you who don't have it and want it:

Contemporary British Fiction: Breaking the Boundaries, T/TH @ 11:00 AM-12:50 PM
Literary London, M/W @ 9:00-10:20 AM
Scriptwriting, M/W @ 4:00-5:20 PM
Introduction to Media Writing, M/W 2:00-3:20 PM

*Note that no Friday classes are offered, so that students can travel!

I had "Literary London" this morning, and my first impression was that the class seemed based more on history than English or literature. We will be reading literature, of course (almost all of which I've already read, thanks to George Thomason, Jennifer Sikes, and Angela O'Neal!), but we'll be discussing the history of London in relation to that literature for the majority of the class. The professor is a character. She's not wild or loud or bouncy or funny, but she's a character nonetheless. She's what I would call "nondescript" in the very best sense of the word. Her accent is in between American and British, though she claims to have lived in Britain for 43 years of her life. She looks past you when you speak to her. She makes interesting, almost-funny comments (which I laugh at anyway... I laugh at everything). She's open to discussion, but I think she likes her own ideas best (who wouldn't?). Personally, I like her, though she might put me to sleep once or twice.

Anyway, I have two more classes to look forward to: Intro to Media Writing and Scriptwriting, my journalism classes. I have not a clue what Scriptwriting is about, honestly. I have zero experience in that area. Oh well.

My Regent's adviser is awesome (but can't beat Sikes), and I'm so glad Hannah Jacobs told me to keep an eye out for him. His name is Olaf. Olaf Jubin. That's pronounced Oh-lauf Joo-bean. He's from Germany, and he's very tall and a theatre/English professor. I'm a big fan of his.

Quick note about yesterday: Caris, Kristen, and I went to Christ Church London (Julia was sleeping, overcome by jet-lag) at the Picadilly Theatre. The church must rent the space or something, so the service is in the afternoon at 4 PM and lasts till 6 PM. It was unlike any church service I've been to: the theatre (a drama kind of theatre, not a movie theatre, which the British call "cinemas") was set up like a band was performing at a Christian concert, instead of a weekly worship service. Flashing lights, smoke machines, loud speakers, etc. It was different; the three of us agreed that though it wasn't "bad," everything was a bit distracting. My favorite part was the message--a man named David Stroud (I think that's how you spell it) gave a message about the freedom of the cross. I really, really liked it, and I'd go back just to hear him. Hearing everyone there speak in British accents reminded me how the body of believers CAN stretch across oceans. I think we Christian Americans in today's age sometimes think that we are the only believers on the planet--I know I've felt that way. It was comforting to see so many believers gathered for worship in the heart of London.

Next Sunday, we're going to Westminster Abbey for the morning service, if we can get in. And a trip to Bath is in the works for Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment